What is green??
Being “green” means to minimize our impact on the Earth, and maybe even leave it as a better place for generations to come. Green building (aka sustainable housing, high-performance homes) considers resource efficiency and environmental impact in every step of building or renovation.
- A home must be energy efficient.
- A house must not waste water.
- The materials and processes that go into building a house should be sustainable (renewable).
- Waste needs to be minimized and recycling maximized to conserve resources. Reduce, re-use, recycle.
- Indoor air must be clean to be healthy; fresh air needs to systematically and automatically enter a tight house to keep air healthful.
- Consider the site and the orientation of the house when building new or adding on. Build up, not out.
All of this can be done on the same budget as typical construction — it just takes a new mindset by your remodeler to bring this knowledge to the table… a mindset which very few contractors have.
Brusco builds sustainability into every project we do, no matter how large or small. It is most evident in our additions and room conversions.
Take a free class
Sam Brusco is the instructor of a seminar called Greening Your Home. It is offered free of charge at Providence area libraries.